Universal Studios and Universal’s Islands of Adventure are well known for their fantastic thrill rides. Recently I had a client ask me if it would be worthwhile to vacation at Universal Orlando if you were not going on any rides at all. It is not uncommon to have those individuals who are not able to experience any of the rides that Universal has to offer. I myself have been in this situation during pregnancies, and I have had family members unable to go on rides due to surgeries, health issues or just simply not liking rides. After giving it much thought, I have found an over abundant amount of things to do in Universal Orlando that are ride-free.
Today I am going to share with you all of the things to do at Universal without going on any rides. Since most of these things are located in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I will begin with those first. I have included many of the shops as they are oftentimes interactive and an experience in themselves.
Universal Studios: Diagon Alley
- Hogwarts Express Train
- Gringotts Bank (you can join the queue and not the ride)
- Ollivanders Wand Shop
- Interactive Wand Experience
- Gringotts Money Exchange
- The Knight Bus
- Moaning Myrtle Bathroom
- Knockturn Alley
- Magical Menagerie
- Borgin and Burkes
- Weasleys Wizard Wheezes
- Madam Malkin’s Robes (interactive mirror)
- Quality Quiditch Supplies
- Celestina Worbeck & The Banshees Show
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard show
- Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream shop
- Leaky Cauldron restaurant
Universal’s Islands of Adventure: Hogsmeade
- Hogwarts Express Train (the train is a different experience from Hogsmeade)
- Ollivanders Wand Experience
- Hogwarts Castle: The Forbidden Journey (walk through the queue)
- Frog Choir show
- TriWizard Spirit Rally Show
- The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle (The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts Castle is amazing)!
- Filch’s Emporium of Confiscated Goods
- Owl Post
- Hogshead for Butterbeer or Pumpkin Juice (try the hot Butterbeer, it’s wonderful)!
- Three Broomsticks restaurant
- Dervish & Barges (see the Nimbus 2000)
Just walking around and taking in the atmosphere at both, Diagon alley and Hogsmeade can take a full day in itself; especially if you are enjoying playing with those interactive wands that you purchased at Ollivander’s.
If you are looking for more to do outside of The Wizarding World, here are some great shows and experiences that do not require getting on a ride.
- Animal Actors on Location
- Fear Factor live
- The Bourne Stuntacular
- Macy’s Balloons and Floats Walk-Through (from November 13-January 2)
- Universal Superstar Parade
- The Blues Brothers Show
- Universal Orlando’s Cinematic Celebration
- The Horror Make Up Show
Universal’s Islands of Adventure
- Oh! The Stories You’ll Gear in Seuss Landing
- Poseidon’s Fury Show
- The Mystic Fountain (interactive)
- Jurassic Park Games
- Tune Lagoon Games
- Kingpins Arcade
- Jurassic Park Discovery Center
- Camp Jurassic and If I Ran A Zoo (kid play areas)
As you can see, there are a ton of things to do in Universal without going on any rides at all. This does not even include the street entertainment found throughout the day in both parks.
If you are able to go on some incredibly tame rides, here are a few to choose from:
- E.T. Adventure
- Shrek 4-D
- Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon
- The High in the Sky Trolly Train
If you were apprehensive about going to Universal because of your inability to go on rides, I hope that this convinced you otherwise. Clearly there are many, many things to do.
To learn more about all of the experiences on this list please check out my YouTube video here:
Looking to go to Universal Orlando? Contact our friends at Mickey World Travel! They can start planning your Universal Studios vacation today!